2020 Spring Imperial Decoration Conferment Ceremony for Mr. Anthony LaVecchia
On Tuesday, March 30, 2021, at the Consul General’s official residence, Mr. Anthony LaVecchia, the former Director for Intelligence, United States Force Japan (USFJ), and retired U.S. Navy Captain, was conferred the 2020 Spring Imperial Decoration, The Order of the Rising Sun, Gold Rays with Neck Ribbon, for his contributions to strengthening the relations between Japan and the United States in the field of defense.
Through his assignments in Japan, at the Seventh Fleet, on the USS Kitty Hawk, and at USFJ, for eight years in total, he contributed to the enhancement and development of the bilateral alliance between Japan and the United States.
The program of for the Conferment Ceremony was as follows:
- Opening Remarks - Consul General Yutaka Aoki
- Conferring the Decoration - Consul General Yutaka Aoki
- Recipients Speech - Mr. Anthony LaVecchia
- Guest’s Speech - Mr. Stewart W. Holbrook *
- Kampai Toast - Admiral John C. Aquilino
* Mr. Holbrook was also the former Director for Intelligence, USFJ, and was conferred the 2018 Spring Imperial Decoration, The Order of the Rising Sun, Gold Rays with Neck Ribbon.
Comment from Mr. Anthony LaVecchia
"It was a distinct pleasure to work with the Japan Self Defense Forces. I would like to thank my many counterparts in Japan as we jointly addressed security issues. Japan is a true partner to the United States." And he ended his speech with, "I could not think of a better way to top off my 30 years career by receiving this award".
Note: Due to COVID-19 pandemic restrictions, the conferment ceremony was held with limited attendance.