Visa & Travel


Visa Information

Welcome to the Visa Information page. The Visa Section of the Consulate General of Japan in Honolulu handles applications for visas to enter Japan. Whether you need to obtain a visa in order to enter Japan differs according to the purpose of visit, length of your stay, your nationality, etc.

In order to mitigate the spread of the coronavirus (COVID-19), the Consular Section has modified several operations and services. We are anticipating longer than usual wait times at the consular office. If your application is not urgent, then we ask you to please consider rescheduling your visit. Longer wait times are also expected when contacting us by phone or email.


Japan Visa Information Hotline

TEL: 1-808-468-3658
24 hours /7days a week, English only 
*This Hotline is designated for visa applicants residing in Hawaii,USA. If you call from Hawaii, USA, you will be charged a domestic call fee for your call.
*This Hotline will only provide general information regarding Japanese visas and will not connect you to the Consulate-General's Visa Section.
*If you need to contact the Consulate-General in regards to a pending visa application,please contact the Consulate-General directly during office hours.

Visa Section Service Hours

*Temporary change of Visa Application window hours: from Monday to Friday, 9:00AM-11AM and 1:00PM-3:00PM,
 (We will be closed holidays)

Visa Jurisdictions

The Consulate General of Japan in Honolulu has a jurisdiction covering the State of Hawaii and American Samoa. If visa applicants reside outside the State of Hawaii or American Samoa, please contact the Japanese Consulate or Embassy that handles visas for your area.

List of Japanese Embassies and Consulates


Visa Requirements

The requirements for visas vary depending upon nationality (citizenship), purpose of trip, and length of stay.
As a rule, applications must be submitted in person to the Consulate.   
Temporary Visitor Visa for Business  SUSPENDED
Spouse of Japanese Visa with C.O.E
Mid to Long Term Visa with C.O.E
(other than Spouse of Japanese Visa)


As one of the emergency and precautionary measures against Omicron variant of COVID-19, the validity of all Entry Visas to Japan issued before December 2nd 2021, except those printed as “(D) As Diplomat,” “(S) As Spouse, Child of Japanese,” and “(S) As Spouse of Permanent Resident,” will be temporarily suspended until the end of February 2022.
Please note that “(V) AS Temporary Visitor” visa for a spouse/child of a Japanese national/permanent resident, issued before December 2nd, 2021, will also be suspended. 
Eligibility to Enter Japan
Foreign nationals who fall under the cases below (either 1, 2, 3, or 4) are currently considered to be under Exceptional Circumstances.
 Foreign nationals with Status of Residence (regardless of its category) who have departed from Japan with a valid Re-entry Permit/Special Re-entry Permit. These foreign nationals do NOT need to apply for a visa to enter Japan.

 Foreign nationals who will newly enter Japan under any of the cases below. Those foreign nationals MUST apply (or re-apply with all the newly updated documents) for a visa to enter Japan.

(1)Foreign nationals who have departed from Japan on or before August 31, 2020 with a valid Re-entry Permit/Special Re-entry Permit, but have been unable to re-enter Japan because the validity of their permit has expired after their departure from Japan.

(2)The spouse or child of a Japanese national or a permanent resident of Japan.

(3)The spouse or child of a foreign national with the status of “Long-term resident” (their Resident card should indicate “Long-term resident”) whose family is staying in Japan and who have been separated from their family.


Foreign nationals who do not fall under the categories above but have been acknowledged to have special exceptional circumstances by the Japanese authorities.

(1)Humanitarian Reasons (short-term stay up to 90 days only)
 Examples of cases considered to have humanitarian reasons are as follows:
  *A foreign national whose purpose of entering Japan is to provide nursing assistance or support to the family member who resides in Japan and who is sick or will give/has given birth.
  *A foreign national whose relative/s residing in Japan is/are critically ill or deceased.
  *A foreign national who will accompany a relative who is unable to travel by him/herself (e.g., minor or sick).

(2)Public Interests
 Any Public Interests cases are examined by the relevant Ministry/Agency on a case-by-case basis.

Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan
Immigration Services Agency of Japan
***If you already submitted your visa application, it will remain on hold until the end of February, 2022, with the exception of visas for “(D) As Diplomat,” “(S) As Spouse, Child of Japanese,” and “(S) As Spouse of Permanent Resident.”
Those who have a Temporary Visitor visa on hold: To reapply, you must submit the following updated documents.
(1) Newly confirmed round trip flight itinerary
(2) Schedule of stay (including 14 day quarantine and private transportation)
(3) Statement (reason applying for a visa)
(4) KOSEKI TOHON ( issued within the last 3 months)
   *元日本人must shown the naturalization on Koseki, if not, need to report a KOKUSEKI SOSHITSU
   *日本人の配偶者must shown the marriage on Koseki
   *日本人の子供a proof of the relationship (e.g. birth certificate)
(5) Letter of reason for invitation from Japan

You may withdraw your visa at any time.
You must be a resident of Hawaii or American Samoa in order to apply for a visa through the Consulate General of Japan in Honolulu.
As of January 11, 2022

Download Files

The requirements for visas vary depending upon nationality (citizenship), purpose of trip, and length of stay.
As a rule, applications must be submitted in person to the Consulate. 

Visa Application Form Visa Application Form (Handwriting)
Visa Application Form (Sample) Schedule of Stay 
Letter for Invitation (English) 招へい理由書 (Japanese)
Letter of Guarantee (English) 身元保証書 (Japanese)
Overview of Company/Organization 会社・団体概要説明書
PCR Test Form Letter of Authorization

Testing locations for COVID-19


Criteria of Visa Issuance

A Japanese visa will be issued to an applicant, when he/she meets all of the following requirements and if the issuance is considered to be appropriate.

  1. The applicant possesses a valid passport and is entitled to re-entry to a country of his/her nationality or a country of his/her residence.
  2. All submitted documents are authentic, completed and satisfactory.
  3. The activities to be engaged in Japan/the civil status or the position of the applicant/the period of stay meet the requirements for the status of residence and the period of stay stipulated in the Immigration Control and Refugee Recognition Act. (Cabinet Order No.319 of 1951. hereinafter referred to as the "Immigration Control Act")
  4. The applicant does not fall under any of the items of Article 5, Paragraph 1 of the Immigration Control Act.