2021 MEXT JAPANESE STUDIES SCHOLARSHIP
The Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT) is now offering one-year scholarships to study in Japan for currently enrolled undergraduate students majoring in Japanese language, Japanese affairs or Japanese culture.
To apply, applicants must:
- Hold U.S. citizenship.
- Be born between: April 2, 1991 to April 1, 2003.
- Be a current undergraduate student majoring in fields related to Japanese language or Japanese culture at a non-Japanese university at the time of arriving in and leaving Japan.
- Must have studied Japanese language or Japanese culture at a university for a total period of one year or more as of September 1, 2021.
- Be able to arrive in Japan within two weeks before the first day of the study course set by the university (usually September or October).
- Must have sufficient Japanese language ability to take classes at a Japanese university in Japanese.
- For 2021: Applicants must hold a JLPT certification N5-N1.
Friday, February 19, 2021 – Written application deadline
Applications must be received at our office by 4:00 pm.
Drop-off or *mail to: Attn: 2021 MEXT Scholarship
Consulate General of Japan in Honolulu
1742 Nuuanu Avenue
Honolulu, HI 96817
*If mailing, we highly suggest mailing documents with a tracking number.
Saturday, February 27, 2021 – Interview (via Zoom)
Only those whose applications pass the first step of the selection process will be granted an interview. Email notifications will be sent on Wednesday, February 24 to all applicants.
Application forms and guidelines for the Japanese Studies Scholarship are available from the MEXT website, "Study in Japan: A Comprehensive Guide". To download application forms and instructions for applying, please visit the "Study in Japan: A Comprehensive Guide" website at: