Visa & Travel


Visa for Work and Long Term Stay

When applying for a visa for the purpose of work, study, or long term residence, it is advisable to apply in Japan beforehand for a Certificate of Eligibility.

Certificate of Eligibility
The Certificate of Eligibility is a document issued by the Ministry of Justice in Japan. The holder of this certificate has the advantage of reducing the time required to obtain a visa and complete immigration procedures by showing the certificate to the immigration officer, and can obtain landing permission more easily.

Visa categories for which a Certificate of Eligibility can be issued include such activities as being an entertainer, student, professor, researcher, or long-term resident participating in religious activities, or for other specified purposes.

For details go to the Ministry of Justice, Immigration Bureau

Application for Certificate of Eligibility

List of Documentation
1. Valid Passport (properly signed by bearer, w/ at least 2 blank visa pages)
*If you submit a PERMIT TO RE-ENTER THE UNITED STATES or a REFUGEE TRAVEL DOCUMENT issued by the U.S. government, it must have a validity date at least six months beyond the date of visa application.                                            
2. Visa application form, completely filled out and signed by the applicant
*You may download a PDF application form:
 QR code / without QR code for handwriting.
3. One passport-sized photo (2”×2”, taken within six months)
*Attached to the application form using GLUE ONLY, please do not staple or tape.
4. Certificate of Eligibility (original)
5. Registered alien card (Green Card) or US visa with I-20 and I-94 for non-US citizen
6. If Entertainer, Artist, Engineer, Skilled Labor or Trainee,
Copy of Contract which stating length of assignment to include start and end date.
*Name list should be attached for a group of entertainers. 
7. Visa fee (if applicable)
Note: Applicant for "Dependent Status", if the primary person already resides in Japan, please submit two copies of the primary person's Resident Card and two copies of passport; include page with visas and immigration stamps with your Certificate of Eligibility.
Please call in advance to verify that you have all of the necessary documents to apply for your visa at (808) 543-3111.